Thoughts, Experiences, Questions, Lessons ....

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Airfare Predictions, Find Cheap Airline Tickets - Farecast

Farecast is a startup that predicts whether air tickets for your travel time are expected to go up or down and gives you a tip whether it's the right time to buy or you should Wait. They even have a Confidence level (probably a p-value of some statistical prediction model) and Fare history which tells what's the lowest and highest fare for the last x days.

I first heard and used Farecast when someone at my workplace introduced this novel concept to me. That version was only covering flights originating from Seattle or Boston. Recently, I received an e-mail from them which announced new markets and Newark, NJ was one of them. SiliconBeat reports they've 55+ originating cities now.

Think about it ..... if you were to know when is the right time to buy your tickets and how much you can save if you follow their tip, isn't this cool.


I did a search for travelling on a weekend in Nov 2006 from Newark, NJ to San Jose, CA and the tip I received was to WAIT as prices were expecting to go down by $40. When I did a search for the same cities but travelling on Sept 1, I was told to Buy with a 70% confidence.

Expect this prediction feature to pop up on other travel sites very soon. So all you frequent travellers, be smart and start saving with this service.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home